Here’s a round-up of superhero-related movie news regarding X-men, The Avengers, and Batman vs. Superman.
- X-men: Days of Future Past will tie into X-men: Apocalypse, the third film in the revamped X-men franchise, and it’ll be directed by Bryan Singer.
- It will take place in the ’70s and only focus on the younger X-men team, although Singer is hoping to involve Hugh Jackman aka Wolverine. That said, there’s also a third Wolverine movie in the works.
- James McAvoy, who plays the younger Professor Xavier, is contracted for X-men: Apocalypse.
The Avengers 2
- It’s been confirmed that Elizabeth Olsen and Aaron Taylor-Johnson will play Scarlet Witch (aka Wanda) and Quicksilver (aka Pietro). But, because of licensing, The Avengers: Age of Ultron won’t be able to use the word “mutant” or make references to Wanda and Pietro’s father, Magneto.
- James Spader will play robotic villain Ultron. His origin storyline will be different from the comics.
- Joss Whedon, who is directing Age of Ultron, is signed on through the end of June 2015.
- The final episodes of ABC’s Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. this season will tie in with Captain America: The Winter Soldier, the last superhero standalone movie before Age of Ultron.
- Avengers 3 will most likely feature Thanos and the Infinity Gauntlet, which may involve The Avengers having to team up with the Guardians of the Galaxy. Guardians of the Galaxy will be released on August 1, 2014, with Lee Pace playing main villain Ronan the Accuser, Thanos’ admiral.
- Don Cheadle, who plays War Machine in the Iron Man movies, will appear in Avengers: Age of Ultron. He has a “key role in the conflict” with Ultron.
- There are going to be huge changes in The Avengers line-up by the end of Age of Ultron.
- Ant-Man, which is part of Phase 3 of the Marvel cinematic universe, is scheduled for release on July 31, 2015.
Batman vs. Superman
- Ben Affleck was cast as Batman. This incarnation of Batman will be older, wiser, and wearier, compared to the one played by Christian Bale in The Dark Knight trilogy.
- Gal Gadot, best known for playing Gisele in the Fast and the Furious franchise, has been cast as Wonder Woman.
- Jason Momoa, perhaps best known for playing Khal Drogo in Game of Thrones, is rumored to join the Batman vs. Superman movie. Some fans are speculating that he could be playing Doomsday, the villain in “The Death of Superman” comic book storyline.